Feeling the communication Gap? Bridge it & Get closer to your child.
Parenthood, as the name suggests, is a beautiful yet taxing journey. It begins the moment a child is conceived and goes on for life. Parents are the models that children imitate during their childhood years. Parents who pay attention to their child’s concerns and ideas teach their child that they are important in the family. Children learn attitudes, values, and behaviours, as well as gain knowledge, through communicating with others – the most important of whom are their parents. Communication between parent and child begins the day the child is born, or earlier, and continues as the child grows, matures and changes. Communication gap, as it is called, could be due to differences in the values and perspectives of individuals stemming from the Generation Gap that exists between them.
How to encourage open and transparent communication:
- Take initiative to open the conversations.
- Avoid stopping them in the middle with whatsoever reasons.
- Be a good patient listener. Show interest.
- Help your child solve problems. They look at you as their support systems.
- Promote communication. They should approach you next time without hesitation.
- Try to be open to the topics they bring in. Do not give in your own opinions and judgements instantly. Quick reflexes might put them in defensive position.
- Apologize when it’s your mistake. It takes a big heart to accept the mistake in front of our children. Even though they are younger in age, they might teach us many things.
- Be a friend than a parent when required. Try getting to their age and understand their enthusiasm, stories and concerns.
Enjoy being a parent and provide your children the safe and secured environment they wish to have. If you follow these basic steps, you’ll be their best friends and the generation gap would seem much smaller!